Most people that work for an employer do not need to file a tax return in New Zealand. The Inland Revenue Department automatically does your taxes and automatically gives you a refund if you are due a refund. There are some reasons that you need to file a New Zealand tax return, and one of them is if you arrived or left New Zealand during the tax year.
Filing New Zealand Income Tax Return
- New Zealand tax year is 1 April to 31 March.
- New Zealand income tax returns are due by 7 July.
- Register for an online myIR account.
- Log onto myIR.
- Complete tax return.
- The tax return process is straightforward and straight forward.
- If you have questions about taxes, the answers are found in the income tax guide.
How was filing your income tax return the first year you were in New Zealand?